News from the Premier League, MLS, WSL and across Europe
ICYMI: Son ‘devastated’ after South Korea Asian Cup exit
Tottenham Hotspur forward Son Heung-min says he is “devastated” after South Korea exited the Asian Cup at the semi-final stage following a 2-0 defeat to Jordan.
Jordan had never before beaten South Korea but the nation ranked 84th in the world were convincing winners, with South Korea goalkeeper Jo Hyeon-woo turning in a player of the match performance.
Second-half goals from Yazan Al-Naimat and Musa Al-Taamari saw Jordan to victory and booked their place in Saturday’s final.
“It is very disappointing. I am devastated about this result. Jordan are having an amazing journey this tournament,” said Son. “They are incredible and they deserve it. They have been fighting until the end but for us, it was very disappointing”
The defeat for South Korea sees Son, plus Wolverhampton Wanderers forward Hwang Hee-chan, return from the tournament to the Premier League ahead of the weekend’s fixtures.
There’s a selection of fixtures to look forward to from across the globe today… here’s what’s in store (all times GMT):
- Nigeria vs South Africa (5pm)
- Ivory Coast vs DR Congo (8pm)
Asian Cup semi-finals
FA Cup fourth-round replays
- Nottingham Forest vs Bristol City (7:45pm)
- Aston Villa vs Chelsea (8pm)
Continental Cup quarter-finals
- Brighton vs Aston Villa (7pm)
- Chelsea vs Sunderland (7pm)
- London City Lionesses vs Arsenal (7pm)
- Tottenham vs Manchester City (7:30pm)
Copa del Rey semi-finals
- Atletico Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao (8:30pm)
- Mainz vs Union Berlin (5:30pm)
- Saarbrucken vs Monchengladbach
Good morning and welcome to today’s rolling live news blog.
We’ll bring you the reaction from yesterday’s fixtures and build towards tonight’s games, plus the latest breaking news from the Premier League and beyond.